Filling in the last six months....

 

 

I've been 'offline' for a while because I had quite simply outgrown the old shed and was sick of having wood stacked in what should have been workspace. After a couple of months of intensive house shopping, we decided there was nothing (flood-free) available with room for a shed as big as I needed, so we...
....sussed out a possible block of dirt and spent many evenings coming up with a plan to see if we could make it all fit. I used 'FloorPlanner' to design it online - well worth a look if you're building ( http://floorplanner.com/projects/28383793-ournewplace#details )  - the draftsman ended up using our plan to directly create the final drawings which included a room at the front of the house to become my 'Gallery', even if it is a little small.
I measured then simulated all of my storage racks and machines and arranged them in the shed plan to make sure I could squeeze into it.
A "wink and a nod" approval for our concept from the council and we bought the block...
 
After lots of adjustments and compromises with the draftsman and builder, the real headaches started and the build finally got under way (click on the picture to play the slideshow and ignore the neighbours house that beat us to the punch!)...

 

 
We got the keys just a week before Xmas and with the help of our family and friends, it took just two days to move the house . . . and six weeks to move the shed!!!
 
 
Metal-work bench was set up first so I could get to work on the storage racks.
 
Next step was to get ALL my timber inside the shed where I could access it easily at any time I wanted. Stage 1 was to extend my old racks upwards to take advantage of the extra height in this shed.
 
Still a lot of wood in the rickety old racks outside so I spent a week making all the components for a nice big rack to go inside - which took less than two hours to assemble. Turned out pretty good I thought!

 

 
Filling the new rack took a lot longer than assembling it but it is so cool to have all my timber in one spot and there's even room for a little more - what a bugger eh!
 

 

 
With the timber all sorted it was time to start organizing the workshop side of things......
 
 
Shadow boards up for the woodworking bench. Plenty of room for more tools there yet.
 
Shelving units were arranged to create a 'store-room'. Once the budget and time allows, I'll be building a mezzanine type floor over the top for more storage and to help keep the dust out.
 
Clamp rack right beside the assembly table - luxury!
 
 
 
Metalworking clamps got a convenient new home too...
 
 
Even the lathe has it's own shadow-board close at hand now...
 
 
...and I finally have enough room to move the bench-drill off the woodwork bench to it's own stand, conveniently placed midway between the wood and metalwork areas so I don't have to clean up the swarf after every little project!
 
Always wanted a washstand at the old place but never got around to it. Made sure the builders included water and drain pipes before the concrete went down so I could build this one. Used left-over iron from the shed and scored the sink for $20 - whole stand only cost about $100 to complete. Still looking for something to use for a splashback though - anybody got an old enamel advertising sign at least 1400mm long????
Due to budget constraints, one feature that will have to wait a while is utilising the 'service trench' I had formed into the slab to house dust extraction and power cables for the bigger machines. I hate tripping on stuff or working around bits hanging from the ceiling so the plan was to get some proper steel ducting but I will probably just recycle the old PVC stuff back into use again until the doctors let go of my wallet. Before I do that though I want to modify the flimsy old Dust-extractor itself to make it easier to change the bags - I'll update this section once I'm done.
. . . A year or so later . . . . . DC modified and installed outside the shed (linky) . . . I gave up the idea of upgrading to a metal modular ducting system as the companies I contacted wanted to know my budget before they would give me a quote! - obviously rolling in money already and don't need any more business (however small!). I ended up rehashing my old PVC system to fit in the service trench and it clears  the waste from everything well enough - the jointer leaves a little bit behind but I doubt it would be any different even if I went to 6" ducting. No leads to trip over, less than half the ducting length of my old overhead system, the blast gates can be conveniently be operated by foot and the DC is switched on by key-ring styled remotes hanging on the band-saw and over the table-saw/lathe - loving it!
So there you have it! I've started doing some woodwork again even though the place isn't wired up yet, extension leads everywhere, but I will get there eventually. Just loving my new 'Living room' ....

 

Back to Top